Monday, April 07, 2008

Meditation for April 8, Redeeming Heroism

There is nothing more contradictory, one might even say more repellant, than a religious voluntarily and habitually negligent. As religious we are obliged to strive after Christian perfection according to the spirit of our institute. Yet we may choose deliberately to cease all efforts after perfection and saunter along carelessly in a life full of wilful mediocrities.

Even as Christians we ought to shun as a plague an ordinary life, for by our very baptism we are vowed to communicate the sursum of Jesus to our associates.

We can be true, sincere Christians only by the absolute and unreserved gift of self to God and neighbor in imitation of Christ's own immolation from Bethlehem to Calvary.

Genuine faith in Christ the Redeemer results inevitably in an intimate and personal participation in this redeeming heroism of Christ. This heroism then becomes the directing and dominating force in our life.

The true Christian soul has always borne the mark of heroism. Without it a Christian life would not be completely Christian.

And that is a Christian life, a simple Christian life, a full, loyal Christian life! What then can be expected of the religious life!

Does my religious life bear the mark of heroism?

"Forgive my lack of heroism in Your service, O Heroic Redeemer! In face of all that You are, how I blush that I am so deficient. In view of what the Gospel demands of all, I am ashamed when I realize that my own convenience has been the measure of my virtue in the past. Make me brave in trials, generous in keeping my Rule and not too unworthy of my holy vows."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: