Monday, May 12, 2008

Just for Today, May 13

Hence it comes to pass that all things avail thee little, till thou take notice that I am He who delivers those that trust in Me. Nor is there out of Me any powerful help, nor profitable counsel, nor lasting remedy.

But now, having recovered spirits after the storm, grow thou strong again in the light of My tender mer­cies: for I am at hand to repair all, not only to the full, but even with abundance and above measure.

-Bk. III, ch. xxx.
______________

Finding no help upon earth, in my extremity I turned to my Heavenly Mother, beseeching her to have pity on me. Suddenly the statue came to life; Our Lady became so beautiful that no words could describe her unearthly beauty. Her gentle look was full of tender love, but it was her exquisite smile that moved me to the depths of my heart and made all my woes disappear, whilst two big tears rolled down my cheeks. They were tears of joy.

"Our Lady came towards me and smiled, I said to myself; but I will tell no one of this, or my joy will disappear." Then my eyes fell upon Marie, whom I recognized. She was evidently deeply moved, and seemed to have guessed the great favour I had been granted. I owed Our Lady's smile to her touching prayer. Seeing my eyes fixed on the statue, she had said to herself: Teresa is cured!

Yes, the little flower was coming back to life, warmed by a ray of her divine Sun, who had delivered her from a cruel enemy. The winter is now past, the rain is over and gone (Cant. ii, II). Our Lady's flower grew so strong and hardy that five years later she was blooming on the fertile heights of Carmel.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: