Friday, May 16, 2008

Meditation for May 17, Soul Sadness

Sometimes without my knowing why, a sort of sadness pervades my soul.

Is it not permissible to become gloomy when there is a reason? Even then, if I had faith, the true spirit of Christ, and a love of mortification, I would withstand the trial with more valor.

But to let myself be gloomy for no reason at all would be ridiculous. I have other things to do besides feel my pulse or follow the capricious course of imaginary clouds....My duty is awaiting me, souls are being lost! An urgent task invites me, were it only that of radiating in and around me the divine joy of the holy liberty of the children of God!

There is, it is true, a certain charm in coddling feelings of sad­ness, especially when these are inexpressible and vague. Mon­taigne has remarked: "I imagine there is something of sweetness and delicacy even in the breast of melancholy."

Religious souls do not find sweetness and delight in sadness. I must have other nourishment. If there is real physical need, I must ask resolutely for what is necessary. If the need be for spiritual or moral courage, I must use all my common sense, all my faith, all my virtue.

Grieve? Whimper?... Absolutely not! I must conquer my sadness and keep my head above the clouds.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: