Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Just for Today, September 17

Men's sentiments are often wrong in their judge­ments; and the lovers of the world are deceived in loving visible things alone.

What is a man the better for being reputed greater by man? One deceitful man deceiveth another; the vain deceives the vain, the blind deceives the blind, the weak the weak, whilst he extols him; and in truth doth rather confound him, whilst he vainly praiseth him.

For how much each one is in Thy eyes, so much he is, and no more, saith the humble St Francis.
-Bk. III, ch. I.
____________

To a young Sister, who said that she must be a privileged soul for God to confide other souls to her care, she replied: "I am what I am in God's sight, and nothing more. Because He has made me His interpreter, it does not mean that He has a special love for me, but rather that He has made me your servant. It is for your sake, not mine, that He has given me a certain attractive­ness and the virtues that you see in me.

"The most privileged souls are those whom God keeps for Himself alone. As for those who are brought for­ward, a miracle of grace is needed to preserve their freshness. "
-Esprit de Sainte Therese.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: