Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Just for Today, October 8

Leave consolations to God, to do with them as best pleaseth Him. But prepare thou thyself to bear tribula­tions, and account them the greatest consolations.
-Bk. II, ch. xii.

I teach to despise earthly things, to loathe things present, to seek things eternal, to relish things eternal, to fly honours, to endure scandals, to repose all hope in Me, to desire nothing out of Me, and above all things ardently to love Me.
-Bk. III, ch. xliii.
_____________

You must not think that spiritual consolations are my lot; my one joy is to lack all comfort on earth. Although I never see Him or hear Him, Our Lord is all the time secretly teaching me. He does not do this through books, for I never understand what I read. Sometimes, however, I happen on a word which com­forts me, as for instance this evening, after I had spent my time of prayer in much dryness of spirit: Behold the Master I give you, he will teach you all that you must do. I would have you read the Book of life, in which is found the science of love.

How sweetly those words sounded to the ears of my soul - the science of love!
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: