Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Mesa AZ Vice-Mayor Upset with Courageous Bishops

We have yet another disturbing story about an apparent crackdown by some Catholic bishops on lay Catholic activities.

Will we be next?

I studied theology as part of my courses at St. Louis University. The Jesuits there taught me to have an inquiring mind on religious issues. I have my own thoughts and opinions. Does this mean I am unworthy to continue my lay ministry as a lector?

I thought I was safe from the new inquisition when I retired as an elected official in June and that I could receive Communion without fear of cross-examination.
Well...now we see his problem. The always faithful Jesuits taught him how to have a dissident mind. How refreshing! But that's not all.
I thought loyalty oaths went out with the fall of the Berlin wall.

What does our new bishop think about Bishop Vasa's ultimatum? I'm really not sure I want to know given the tenor of so many of his recent pronouncements that have so profoundly disturbed many longtime Arizona Catholics.

Stay tuned.
I believe God would like us to be loyal and He wants us to be resolute in our affirmation of Him and His revealed truth.

And, of course, being a Jesuit trained, professed Catholic politician, he has no problem twisting the facts by claiming that Bishop Vasa's "Affirmation of Faith" is an ultimatum. I suspect he has read "about" it but has not read it. Maybe Mr Kavanaugh should discuss his "problems" with Bishop Olmsted before airing his opinions in the media, especially since Bishop Olmsted has 'disturbed so many longtime Arizona Catholics?

Link.

No comments: