Thursday, August 05, 2004

Reactions to Bishops' statement

"I am Catholic, but I am also a Democrat, so . . . it puts me in a tough position," said Georgia state Rep. Pedro Marin (D-Duluth). "I have to be pro-choice because that's the Democratic position."
Why doesn't he just say, "Because the devil made me do it." This is an excuse a child would use, not an adult. And this is to say nothing about the fact that his party loyalty is more important than his fidelity to Christ.
Marin said he was not sure whether he would continue to try to take Communion. "I will have to see if the Catholic religion still fills me up, spiritually," he said.
Again, it's all about "ME"...too many have forgotten why they even attend Mass.
Source.

And here's another:
National pro-choice Catholic groups called the Southern bishops' statement shocking because it goes beyond denying Communion. They found especially troublesome the requirement that politicians must publicly disavow abortion and get a bishop's permission to resume taking Communion.

"This is pretty draconian," said Frances Kissling, president of the Washington-based Catholics For a Free Choice.

"It certainly does not seem to be a mainstream strategy. The overwhelming majority of Catholic people do not believe it is appropriate for a bishop to use Communion as a political sledgehammer to gain obedience."
I don't understand why this woman is not formally and publicly excommunicated as an apostate of the faith.

This article here.

No comments: