Sunday, April 17, 2005

Eucharistic Whisperings, April 17

Jesus is Mine

When I let my eyes roam in spirit over the whole wide world, I find that there is simply nothing anywhere that I can really and truly call my own. Nor could I do so were I as rich and powerful as Solomon. But when I turn my eyes towards heaven,-lo! I find that all things are mine; for Jesus is mine.

* * *

Jesus is mine. So I may do just what I want to with Him. With Him I can draw near to God and pay all that I owe Him.

Hence it is that I can use Jesus in order to offer to the Father fitting adoration; in order to make due satisfaction, not only for my sins, but also for the sins of the whole world; in order worthily to thank Him for the many, many graces and blessings He has already heaped upon me and intends still to heap upon me; in order to storm His Fatherly heart with countless petitions for myself and for others-with petitions, especially for my own sanctification and salvation.

Can it be possible, then, that there is really anyone in heaven or on earth who is richer than I am?

* * *

Jesus is mine. He is my Treasure. Before me pass the monarchs of this earth with their vast dominions. . . . . the learned with their sciences. . . . . the rich with the abundance of their treasures . . . . . the proud and haughty with their honors. . . . . pleasure-seekers with their pleasures. . . . . I see the flowers in all their beauty . . . . the stars with their twinkling light. . . . . the universe in all its glory. . . . . Let these things pass! O pass on I pass on! I cannot envy you; the smallest portion of a tiny Host is worth infinitely more than all of you together!

Jesus is mine. I think more of Him than of myself. To Him do I give the very best place in my heart, in my soul. I make him a present of the purest love of which I am capable; I adorn Him with the tenderest of thoughts; and I try to do Him honor by practicing the most beautiful virtues.

My every glance of love and kindness shall fall upon Jesus; my every word of charity and cheer shall be directed towards Him; and His, too, shall be each friendly smile.

I will keep Jesus with me at work and at recreation, in joy and in sorrow, in life and in death.

* * *

Jesus is mine. Woe to him that tries to rob me of my Jesus! I will treat such a one as my enemy, as my bitterest, bitterest enemy.

For Jesus, the joy of my heart, I will give battle to the scandals of the wicked world; to all the temptations of hell will I give battle for Jesus, the God of my love. Because Jesus alone is the magnet of my soul and all my happiness, I will stoutly wage war against the host of passions that try to take Him from me; because He is to me as a burning fire of charity, I will wage constant war against my lukewarmness and coldness. I will defend Jesus, my beauty, against all venial sin-Jesus, my hope, against all fear-Jesus, my bliss, against all discouragement. I will always defend Jesus against everything and everybody, because He is my all.

Jesus is mine. What will I do that He may remain mine forevermore? I will cheerfully make any sacrifice. I will live very near to Him. I will never leave Him.

Were it necessary, I would gladly shut myself up in the stable at Bethlehem and suffer in the wind and cold; I would gladly wander through the dreary desert and bear the pain of exile; gladly would I endure the stranger's cold indifference in banishment. . . . . Only I would have to have Jesus with me always.

Gladly would. I toil wearily in the workshop at Nazareth; I would even joyfully wander through the world begging my daily bread - but only with Jesus.

I will love His fasting, His praying, His humiliation; I will patiently endure the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, the persecutions of His enemies, the kiss of Judas . . . . . but Jesus must always be with me.

He must be mine always; mine in His agony in. the Garden of Olives; mine during the fearful scourging in Jerusalem; mine on the cross of Golgotha. And when I no longer perceive the warmth of His divine body, when I -no longer feel the throb of His loving Heart, when I no longer experience His tender goodness, but only hold His cold and lifeless corpse in my arms-also then shall He be always mine.

* * *

Jesus is mine. And so I am going to spend many an hour before the tabernacle; for a bride has the right to be near her bridegroom. I will go to Holy Mass every day; for the sinful soul has a right to assist at the Sacrifice of its Redeemer. I will frequently go to Holy Communion; for one that is hungry and sick has a right to food and medicine. Never, -never will I give .up the right I have to stay with Him-for Jesus is mine.

* * *

O my Jesus, You know how many thorns wound my heart! But I suffer their pangs with patience, even with a little joy; for each thorn is saturated with Your Precious Blood. One thorn only I cannot stand, one pain only do I cast from me in fear; it is the loss of You. The very thought of spending a day without You frightens me. Oh, I often think that then the very heavens would hurl their lightnings down upon me, and the earth's fiery volcanoes would open up to swallow me! O dear Jesus, I am willing to give up everything else but not You!

* * *

You may fill my existence to overflowing with misfortunes and cares, You may let fearful storms encompass me, You may afflict my spirit, sadden my heart . . . . . Do with me what You will, only do not despise the ardent importunity of my love. I beg of You to be always mine. O may my last word in the hour of death be for my Jesus; may my last glance rest upon my Jesus; may my last heartbeat belong to my Jesus; and in the Heart of my Jesus may my last breath die away!

________________________________________
From Eucharistic Whisperings, Winfrid Herbst,SDS,
The Society of the Divine Saviour, 1929

No comments: