Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mental Prayer for June 11 - I Am the Bread of Life

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: My God, I ask you for a deep appreciation of the Holy Eucharist.
Mental Picture (cf.John 6: 32-59) : A bright, clear morning... I am on the shore of the Sea of Galilee close to Jesus... the Apostles are near... a large crowd is present. Jesus speaks... "I am the bread of life... who comes to me will never hunger... who believes in me will never thirst... when anyone comes to Me, I will certainly not reject him... I am the bread of life... I am the living bread that has come down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; the bread which I shall give is my flesh for the life of the world... He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood is united with me, and I with him."

My Personal Application: How frequently have I asked Christ our Lord to be united with me physically in Holy Communion? Is there any reason why it should not be every day... or at the very least once a week? And what about all those other men - rich and poor, white and black and brown and yellow, near and far - who also receive Christ? Christ says He is united with them too... and so they, through Communion, are united in an extra-special way with me also. If we all eat together at the table of the Lord, then how should we treat each other when we leave that table?

I Speak to Christ: My Lord and my God, I thank you for giving me the opportunity to receive you in Holy Communion. Please deepen my faith in your divine presence. Help me to love you with all my heart. Help me also to love truly all those other brothers of mine, who share with me your supreme gift, yourself. "Communion" means "union with." Help me to be united with you, and through you with all men.

Thought for Today: "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood is united with me and I with him."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: