Friday, August 18, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 19-Danger of Riches

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Lord, that I may learn how to use what you have given me as you would want me to.

Mental Picture (cf. Luke 16:19-31): The rich man and the beggar, Lazarus. On earth the rich man feasts: a fancy dining hall, many guests. Outside his house a beggar slowly starves to death, too weak to chase away the dogs that lick his sores. They both die. Lazarus is taken to heaven; the rich man is buried in hell. Here he begs but a drop of water from Lazarus, but there is no bridging the chasm between heaven and hell. Hear him asking for permission to warn his brothers and the reply: "If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, they will not believe if one were to rise from the dead."

My Personal Application: The rich man is in hell, not because he is rich, but because he used his wealth for himself alone, despising the poor and unfortunate. The danger of wealth lies in this misuse. Do I use money and things solely for myself? Do I think of the poor? Have I helped them?... the poor box?... even at the expense of a some small pleasure for myself? Is it always what can I buy for myself? Do I ever think of buying things for my parents, brothers, sisters, and others? Am I willing to lend my things to others?

I Speak to God: O my God, all you gave me is not for myself alone but to help others also. I don't need someone to come from the dead to teach me of the dangers of great wealth and selfishness. You, Lord, have told me that in this parable. Help me, Lord, to be generous with the things I have and not to be selfish.

Thought for Today: "Whatever you do for the least of my brothers you do for me."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: