Thursday, September 28, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 29-Who Is God?

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask : My God, help me to come to know you.

The Idea: Who is God? I won't see Him face to face till heaven. But let me see if I can't form some idea of Him.

In all this world God is the only one who has life of Himself, completely independent of all others. He is eternal, with no beginning and no end of life, of existence. He is the one God who dwells in full happiness as Three Divine Persons.

From one thundering act of His will billions of stars and planets streamed into being. The Milky Way I see at night - millions of stars, millions of miles apart - are His handiwork. The slashing might of the hurricane, the awesome power of the ther­monuclear explosion - these are the creatures of His hand and a faint glimmer of His power. All these He rules as master of the universe. At His will each moves and works out His plan.

But this is not all. God is my personal God, my Father, who lavishes His love on me and cares for every hair of my head. He alone is all-good and all-beautiful. The glowing beauty of sunset on the Grand Canyon is but the faintest mirror of His glorious beauty.

My Personal Application: Do I ever try to think of what God must be in Himself? Do I ever use the power or beauty or goodness in everyday things to help me realize what God is? Do I mean every word of my morning act of adoration to this great God? Am I truly reverent in my prayers?

I Speak to God: My God, I kneel down and adore your majesty and your goodness. I praise you for being so perfect, so mighty, so much the master of creation. My Father, I thank you for your per­sonal care for me. Help me one day to see you face to face.

Thought for Today: My God, help me to come to know you.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: