Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 6-Charity and the Golden Rule

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask : God, teach me to know what charity is and give me the strength to practice it.

The Idea: Charity for my fellowmen is a wishing of good things for them because God wants them as His friends and they share or can share His life. Charity is based on what I want, not necessarily on what I like. And it is a sure indication of the measure of my love for God, for actions are an infallible measure of attitude. At the Last Supper Christ put it this way: "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you" (John 15:12). How should we express our love for God by our love for our fellowmen? Christ Himself has given us the rule. It is a well-known rule, but not necessarily a well­ practiced one. "Do unto others all that you would have them do unto you" (Matthew 7:12). If we follow that rule as best we can at all times, there will be no danger of our violating charity.

My Personal Application: In my conduct toward others what is the rule that really guides me? Or is my conduct based on what everybody else is doing? On what I like or dislike doing? on what benefits me?

Or is it the Golden Rule of Christ? Is it really, at all times?

I Speak to God : God, I need a lifetime to learn to practice, really practice, your command of love. Give me the grace to keep trying to practice it ever more perfectly during my life.

Thought for Today: "If a man says he loves God while he hates his fellowmen, he is a liar" (1 John 4:20).
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: