Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mental Prayer for September 8-Charity in Deeds

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask : God, teach me to know what charity is and give me the strength to practice it.

The Idea: Unless I treat my neighbor as I would want him to treat me, I am not giving a satis­factory expression of my love for God. For when I am uncharitable toward my neighbor, I am uncharitable toward God. By talking about the faults of my neighbor I can act uncharitably toward him. By treating him in an un-Christlike manner I act uncharitably toward him. How would Christ want me to act toward the new family in the neighborhood... the new student at school... the new employee at the office... the shy person at a party...the poor... those who have physical handicaps... those who take advantage of me... those who disagree with me... those who insult me... those in authority?

My Personal Application: Christlikeness toward those whom we naturally tend to dislike or who need our help in a special way is a wonderful expression of our love for God. This is what Christ expects of His followers. Yet so many people who say they are Christians do not even realize what charity demands. Do I let their attitudes determine my attitudes? The Golden Rule of Christ: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. How easy to understand, how difficult to practice!

I Speak to God: God, charity in deeds must be a characteristic of my life. Help me to see how.

Thought for Today: "If a man says he loves God while he hates his fellowmen, he is a liar." (1 John 4:20)
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: