Sunday, December 03, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 4, Working the Particular Examen

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: O my God, give me the grace to carry through this opportunity of becoming perfect.

The Idea: In the story of his life Benjamin Franklin tells how he wanted to become a perfect man. He says he knew it would be a long process, but he wanted to see concrete results along the way. His method? "Each night before retiring I inquired into the actions of that day, writing down the number of times I slipped into the evil I had determined to root out." Sound familiar?

And Franklin probably never heard of the "Particular Examination." He figured out the system for himself. He knew it just had to work. And he really worked at it, marking down in a notebook each night how many times he had fallen into the particular bad habit he was trying to correct. Then he would compare that day's total with the previous day's and the previous week's to see how much progress he was making. And Franklin didn't have Christ before his eyes when he decided to become perfect. His whole motive was to become a better businessman - basically because he loved himself. My reason... to become like Christ... the best possible motive.

My Personal Application: By today I should have my target pretty well lined up. Once we begin firing, the important thing is to stick with it. We won't change our aim till we have destroyed the first objective. It will take weeks, perhaps months. No matter, as long as we keep at it.

I Speak to God: Dear God, help me to make a success of my Particular Examination. The secret is sticking to it. But that is difficult for some of us... we like changes. Keep Christ before my eyes and let me realize that His Blessed Mother is looking on, watching me grow more and more like her Son.

Thought for Today: "For tomorrow and its needs, I do not pray. Keep me Lord, just for today."
_________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: