Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 7, The Call of Christ

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Not to be deaf to Christ's challenge to me, but quick and eager to hear and answer Him.

The Idea: I must now compare my answer to the character test with my answer to Christ's real chal­lenge. And first, would I have answered that call to save my country? Then how much more worth answering would I find Christ's call to save the world! I picture Him to myself, the divine King of the universe. He stands before me, looking over the entire world, and He calls me personally. He says: "My will is to conquer the entire world and all my enemies, and so to enter into the glory of my Father. If you want to come with me, you must work along with me. As you share with me in the labors, so will you share the victory with me."

Compare this leader with the imaginary one. Christ is real; Christ is God Himself. Christ earned my love and devotion by dying for me. Think about the cause Christ asks me to fight for - the salvation of souls... the victory He offers - a perfect reward which will last forever... the certainty of winning - at the last day, all who ever lived will have to acknowledge Christ as King of the universe. And today, to die for Christ is to live forever.

My Personal Application: What does He ask of me? To help Him conquer the world for the world's own good. I'm already bound to part of the job, winning the fight in my own soul against the world, the flesh, and the devil. But He is calling me to much more, and I can refuse it if I want. Christ's cause needs helpers in every walk of life. All who answer - men, women, children - find that their life takes on real, full meaning and purpose for the first time. Will I answer? Will I follow this Leader, Christ my King?

I Speak to Christ: Dear Lord, help me to under­stand what your call demands; help me to answer it fully and generously. I want my life to be worthwhile, devoted to the one thing that really matters.

Thought for Today: "My will is to conquer the whole world. If you want to come with me..."
_________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: