Friday, December 08, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 9, One Man's Answer to Christ's Call

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask : To be inspired to imitate the generous answer of St. Thomas More to the call of Christ.

Mental Picture: The fat, stubborn King Henry VIII of England in his private chamber, pleading with his chancellor and friend, Thomas More... "Come now, Thomas. Set aside your silly scruples about taking the oath of my supremacy over the Church. I don't want to have to be harsh with you as I have been with the others. Imagine you, a great scholar, in the Tower of London; you, my best friend, on the gallows. Listen to my call. I will give you even more power over all my subjects so that no one in all England will be great­er than you. The dukedom of Lancaster - it will be yours. Your son will marry Elizabeth and be the future king. Everything I have except the crown will be yours!" Thomas More lowers his head and closes his eyes. He seems to hear within himself the call of another King: "If you will be perfect, go, sell what you have and come, follow me. If any man will come after me, let him deny himself daily, take up his cross, and follow me...No one can serve two masters...He that is not with me is against me."

My Personal Application: We know which King's call Thomas More answered, for no son of his ever became king of England. And we do not call him Sir Thomas More, but Saint Thomas More. And I - which call am I going to answer? Is it that of the wortd of riches, selfishness, and ease? Or is it that of Christ my King to poverty of spirit, self-sacrifice, and zealous work for my neighbor? I cannot answer both calls. Which will it be?

I Speak to St. Thomas More: Saint Thomas, I thrill to your generous answer to Christ's call. Inspire me with your courage and your generosity to hear Christ's call to me. Obtain for me the grace to answer His challenge the noble way that you did, even if it means my death as it did for you.

Thought for Today: Which call will I answer?
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: