Thursday, September 27, 2007

Meditation for September 28, The Interior Master

Dom Marmion gives an excellent threefold counsel. Ask your­self, he writes:
1. If you often find yourself united to Our Lord during the day.

2. If you are faithful in forming a very pure intention before each action of any weight or importance.

3. If you habitually follow your first impulses, or if you begin to practice interior mortification in repressing from time to time the vivacity of your character, that Our Lord may become the sole Master of your soul.

Dom Marmion was writing this to a young girl living in the world. How much more does it apply to me as a religious?

Have I the habit of offering to God each of my activities to the extent that He asks me for them throughout the day? Does the thought of God rise from my heart more or less spontaneously, and am I attentive to live in a recollected way? Does caprice rule my actions or rather the sole desire of accomplishing at every moment and in the
best way what God requires?

Summarily, then, it is the whole plan of my life of recollection that needs revising.

I must not grow sad if I do not think of God as often as I should like; it is less my head than my will that God desires. But I should aim at entire renunciation, so that I do nothing except for God. If I wish to glorify Him in all things, then all my activity prays even if my memory is absent. The heart is there, that is the essential thing.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: