Saturday, September 29, 2007

Meditation for September 30, Our Daily Breead

"Let us have a strong general intention of serving God with all our heart and all our life," said St. Francis de Sales. "Outside of that let us not have any concern for the morrow. Let us think only of doing well what we have to do today; for when tomorrow arrives it will be called today, and then we will think of it. It is necessary in this respect to have great confidence, resigning our­selves to the Providence of God. We must gather our provision of Manna for each day and no more. After that, don't doubt God; He will shower some down tomorrow and after tomorrow, all the days of our pilgrimage."

I fret, I torment myself, perhaps in regard to events, or my virtue, or my apostolic labors; 1 so easily confound solicitude with fervor. A prudent foresight is in season, but does it necessitate the loss of my peace?

1 will remain always enveloped by a quiet calm, giving my neigh­bor the impression that I am a peaceable person, but above all giving God the sight of a person at peace within.

Events: God is the master of them. He is all powerful, and fur­thermore I know that He is good. Nothing happens to me which is beyond my strength. I shall always have grace. Trust Him for that. "I do not know what will happen to me tomorrow," said La­cordaire, "but of this I am sure, that before the sun rises Providence will be up."

My virtue: I will work loyally to strengthen it. I will put my faults into the hands of Our Lord and not worry about them any more. I will keep only a genera1 remembrance of them which may be stimulating but not discouraging. I will aim to advance in love. A good quiet act of love is worth more than a thousand anguished regrets.

My apostolate: I will try to foresee and organize what I can foresee and organize. The rest I will abandon to the Lord. Is it not myself rather than Him that I seek, when I fret as I do?

Peace then. Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof. Give us this day our daily bread.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: