Friday, September 28, 2007

Meditation for September 29, Love Is My Name

When Lucifer led on the fallen angels, Michael, with the cry Who is like to God? assembled the faithful angels.

Who is like to God?

How majestic and immense must be the sovereign grandeur of God if the Sanctus of the legions of celestial spirits resounds eter­nally before it.

I will join my voice to theirs. It is so difficult for me to get even a faint idea of the Infinite Power of the Lord Most High. It is one of the limitations of littleness to be incapable of conceiving of grandeur. I will endeavor to celebrate the grandeur of God without ever hoping to understand it: Sanctus! Sanctus! Sanctus!

There is one side, O my God, on which You are more accessible. Your Sovereignty escapes me and crushes me. But there is in You something that ravishes me, it is Your love, since You have made that love visible in permitting Your Son to become incarnate.

And why should I not profit by that word You addressed to one of Your faithful servants, the venerable Ursuline, Mary of the In­carnation? She was abasing herself before You in profound senti­ments of respect, of abasement and of humility. You said to her with great sweetness:

"You call me your great God, your Master, your Lord, and you say well, because I am. But I am also Charity, Love is My name, and it is thus that I want you to call Me. Men give Me many names, but there is none which pleases Me more and which better expresses what I am than this."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: