Sunday, September 02, 2007

Meditation for September 3, Forbidden Fruit

"The stupid world," wrote an author, "loves what is forbidden." It is ridiculous but true. In his own clever way St. Francis de Sales observes, "Of the hundred thousand delicious fruits, Eve chose the one which had been forbidden; without doubt if it had been permitted she would not have eaten it."

This observation is quite correct. It is the object that is asked of us that costs the most to give; it is the good that is forbidden us, that we wish the most to grasp. The child who has promised to give one of his toys for the poor, cannot make up his mind when asked for the plaything with which he already consented to part; he clings to all, above all to that one which others tell him to give. I perversely find that which I have no right to possess delightfully pleasant; it suffices to be in possession of the coveted good, to desire it no longer.

I ought to be more detached. Although I don't covet forbidden fruits, I do perhaps covet fruits which were not meant for me; such and such a position in the house which according to my judgment would suit me better; such a class or such work for which I think I have more ability. All this is wasted time and tends to make me dislike what I have been given to do.

I will try to attach myself to what is assigned. The rest is not worth bothering with.

"My God, help me not to concern myself with tasks that have not been appointed to me, but to love with all my soul, my appointment, my house, my work. That is Your will for me. I wish to accomplish it with all my love."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: