Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Meditation for September 5, Recreations

St. Theresa of Avila saw a double advantage in recreations. "We open our eyes to our faults and we give ourselves a little relaxation, the better to keep the rigors of the rule after while."

Along with other advantages derived from recreation these two are excellent.

I open my eyes to my faults: In recreation it is necessary to conquer timidity which is often only a form of self-love; if I had less fear of appearing ridiculous, I would act much more simply; or again, it may be necessary for me to triumph over a too strong desire to be in the foreground. Perhaps I will have to conquer a mania for talking too much; or a habit of extreme reticence, of being too glum. I may have to repress irritation at certain re­marks, or particular individuals; to restrain untimely, exaggerated or too eager enthusiasm without, however, killing spontaneity, so that I always express my opinion quite simply without embar­rassment and without hesitation.

It is only supple and relaxed spontaneity that makes recreation a rest, as it is meant to be. For if everyone is unnatural, stilted and without enthusiasm, it is a more painful exercise than to take the discipline. Each one ought to put himself into it; to learn how to tell stories; there is a humble and good-natured way of speaking of oneself, in default of another more interesting subject, which is not reprehensible. It can easily be seen whether someone speaks of himself to gain esteem or simply to entertain his audience. Good common sense, a fine mutual confidence and unaffected simplicity, will make recreation a relaxation and a stimulant.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: