Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Meditation for September 6, Quiet Striving

To a novice who was regretting that on certain occasions he had not done all he possibly could, the novice master, certainly not to encourage indifference, but by way of explaining a reality only too frequently manifest, namely our human weakness, replied, To do all you possibly could is to do the impossible.

Remember this thought but understand it well.

Upon entering the religious life, I assumed the obligation of striving for perfection. If, after that, I wilfully neglect to strive - that is, in a serious manner and for some time - I am no longer in my vocation. If I wilfully remain stationary, then I am stag­nating and am no longer making progress, particularly if, instead of advancing, I go back.

But it must be well understood that while this tending toward perfection ought to be enthusiastic, it must not be feverish, or precipitate. That is what the novice master wished to make clear to his novice. In the beginning of religious life, one too easily be­lieves himself equal to anything, capable of overcoming with little or no effort any difficulty which he regards as mere play. Later, one makes almost a complete turnabout, becoming too easily sat­isfied, under pretext of experience, and as a consequence, manifests a lack of zeal.

"Grant O my God, that I never cease striving for perfection. Since You have called me to the religious life, grant that I may live as a true religious, prudent and full of enthusiasm, eager to refuse You nothing, but always serene. Let me realize that the least gift, if it is sincere, costs much."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: