Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Meditation for October 3, "I Choose All"

When Therese of Lisieux adopted such a program as the title of this meditation indicates it was not from a foolish ambition but through overflowing zeal and love which did not wish to exclude anything. She offered herself for all kinds of work, for every form of apostolate, for every sort of martyrdom. She only wished to give to her perfect charity the largest distribution possible.

One should not confuse legitimate enthusiasm with indiscreet zeal.

To see this clearly, I must distinguish well the order of the de­sire and that of the realization; the plan of the intention and that of the execution.

I can by desire and intention - supposing them to be sincere - ­offer myself to the vastest and the most profound love. When I find myself facing enterprises that must be carried out, love alone no longer suffices, enthusiasm must not be my only guide; I also need prudence, not human prudence whose motives are often want­ing in nobility, but supernatural prudence which limits zeal and fervor only by divine motives.

If I moderate my enthusiasm, it is to correspond better to the will of God, and not on account of any secret cowardice; because I want to serve better later on, to accomplish my task more whole­heartedly, and not because caprice solicits me. I must desire to do everything or to accomplish as much as possible, certainly, but I must know that in the concrete and in reality I am not able and ought not try to accomplish what exceeds my strength. Having to impose frequent restrictions on myself in this way will be further the greatest mortification if I have a noble soul. I will offer to God for all that I cannot do, all that I should like to do.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: