Thursday, October 04, 2007

Meditation for October 5, Divine Joy

By constantly hearing of the cross, I almost forget at times the joy of serving God.

Without doubt it is hard, at certain times more so than others.

But more often, infinitely more often, how sweet it is! And with what right I can sing: The yoke of the Lord is light and sweet and again What joy to dwell forever in the house of the Lord!

For in truth, despite the aridities and difficulties that I suffer frequently in prayer, what a tremendously divine joy I experience at knowing that I possess heavenly peace.

Even considering the sacrifices which the common life entails, how splendid is the interior joy of living in harmony of thought, of prayer, of sacrifice, and of work, with beautiful and noble souls. They have their faults, these beautiful and noble souls, but what is that? Don't I have mine? Does that prevent this unanimous concord from rising to great heights? Behold how good, how sweet to live in fraternal unity at the table of the Father of the family.

And so the Cross! Yes, surely the Cross, but also the super­-abounding joy, the happiness which surpasses all happiness, the holy threefold peace of the children of God!

O Jesus, give me a joyous and expansive Christianity, a joyful Christianity which has a horror of somber forms of virtue without necessarily being an unmortified Christian. Have You not Your­self added cheerfulness as an accompaniment to increased renunciation?

I want to inspire myself often with the words of confidence from the Twenty-second Psalm:
"The Lord is my Shepherd: I shall want nothing.
He hath converted my soul.
He hath led me on the paths of justice for his own name's sake.
And thy mercy will follow me all the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord unto length of days."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: