Saturday, October 06, 2007

Meditation for October 7, The Rosary

What a magnificent compendium of our faith is the rosary!

With Mary I come quite close to Jesus, at the very heart of Christianity; and successively with the Aves, the mysteries unfold; the great scenes of the Gospel appear.

In the Joyful Mysteries I consider the Savior sanctifying souls by His very Presence; in His Conception; in His Birth; in His Presentation in the Temple; and finally as He was found in the Temple at the age of twelve.

In the Sorrowful Mysteries the whole redemption is portrayed before me - the Agony, the Scourging, the Thorns and the Cross of Jesus.

In the Glorious Mysteries I see the great proof of Christ's Di­vinity in His Resurrection, and the hope of heaven shining on the horizon. Then, as the vesper hymns relate, Mary appears to me in the fires of the Holy Ghost, in the majesty and splendor of the Kingdom, Mary the Queen, brilliant with glory.

"I wish, O Blessed Mary, when I say my rosary, to try to participate more intimately in the mystery that each decade commemorates.

If I could only live it as you lived it!

Give me your faith, your love. Enlarge my soul to the dimensions of yours. Grant that with every Ave my lips pronounce, my heart may be reunited to your heart. Mary, O Mary, I greet you, I bless you, I love you. . . Ave. . . Maria."

Above all, from my devotion to the rosary I draw this thought. There is no separation or break between the recitation of the Aves and the passing of the beads; that is symbolical; as my days roll by I want to mingle prayer with them. I do not want a life in two sections; external occupations will not break my life of union cultivated in exercises of piety, properly so called, but only lessen its intensity.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: