Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Just for Today, January 10

(Christ.) As I willingly offered Myself to God, My Father, for thy sins, with My hands stretched out upon the cross, and My body naked, so that nothing remained in Me which was not turned into a sacrifice to appease the divine wrath; even so must thou willingly offer thyself to Me daily in the Mass, for a pure and holy oblation, together with all thy powers and affections, as heartily as thou art able.
-Bk. IV, ch. viii.
___________________

In the year 1895 I was given the grace to realize more than ever how much Our Lord wishes to be loved. I was thinking of souls who willingly offer themselves up to divine justice, drawing down punishment upon them­selves so that the guilty may be spared. I saw how noble and generous this action was, but felt no inclina­tion to imitate them.

From the depths of my soul I cried: Oh! my divine Master! is Thy justice alone to receive victims of holocaust? What of Thy merciful love? On every side it is ignored and rejected... souls destined to receive its bounty turn instead towards creatures, seeking for one instant to enjoy their worthless affection, instead of throwing themselves into Thy arms and the fiery furnace of everlasting love. Oh! my God! is Thy rejected love to remain locked up in Thy heart? If souls could be found to offer themselves as victims to Thy merciful love, it seems to me that Thou wouldst quickly consume them in its flames.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: