Saturday, January 12, 2008

Meditation for January 13, The Baptism of Jesus

Do I reflect sufficiently on the great humility of Our Lord when He abased Himself to receive the baptism of expiation destined for sinners, for this race of vipers, the Pharisees and the Sadducees, for this group of whitened sepulchres. Soon Our Lord would con­front them and find that they were observers of the letter of the law rather than persons of sincere conviction, praying in spirit and in truth.

What did John the Baptist want of his disciples? He urged them to escape the wrath of God and produce worthy fruits of penance. In consenting to receive the rite of penance, did Jesus not give the impression that He like the others who heard John the Baptist, was subject to the wrath of God and in need of purifica­tion? Did this not compromise His coming apostolate? What authority would He have when He would proclaim His Gospel and endeavor to authenticate His Messianic titles?

But Jesus did not hesitate. What did the judgments of the crowd matter! God would vindicate His honor and make known His real identity.

Scarcely had He entered the water when heavens opened and the Father proclaimed the divinity of His Son. Far from detracting from the glory of Jesus, humility merited for Him the praise: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. (Matt. iii, 17.)

I need not fear. Humility will never harm me. Even if, for a time, I am judged wrongly, the truth will come to light, and if I am a saint, I can be sure that those whose duty it is to know, will discover it.

If humiliations come to me, I shall accept them and live in peace.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: