Thursday, January 10, 2008

Meditation for January 11, The Three Days' Loss

The Three Days' Loss of Jesus in the Temple is one of the Gos­pel's most touching mysteries.

For three days Our Lord was separated from His own. Joseph thought the Child was with Mary; Mary thought He was with Joseph; thus at first neither suffered.

But Jesus must have suffered. The picture of Jesus explaining the law to the doctors makes us forget how lonely He must have been during these days. After all, three days is a long time and the meeting with the doctors could not have been very lengthy. Where was He both before and after that time? In view of the Oriental laws of hospitality, a child separated from his parents is at home everywhere. He may have met some relatives of His parents. Yet no other home could compare with the everyday life of Mary and Joseph.

One spiritual writer wonders where Our Lord ate during these three days. It is a detail, and a very material one, but it is worth consideration just the same.

Although my meals are not elaborate, I have at least something to eat every day. The problem of daily bread, a source of worry to so many people, does not exist for me. Do I occasionally think of expressing my gratitude to God for this favor?

What is my conduct in the refectory? Am I sufficiently indif­ferent to what is served me, or am I too conscious of the delicacy or coarseness of certain foods? Do material concerns prevail over the spiritual duty of profiting by the table lecture?

St. Margaret Mary testified that she had received many great spiritual lights during the reading in the refectory. The Holy Ghost speaks any­where to a soul who maintains union with God under all cir­cumstances.

I must examine myself and correct whatever does not tend toward a more perfect imitation of Jesus.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: