Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Just for Today, July 2

If thou set thyself to what thou ought; that is, to suffer and die to thyself, it will quickly be better for thee, and thou shalt find peace.

-Bk. II, ch. xii.
_________________

I had made what I considered an act of heroic virtue, and expected her to congratulate me, but she only said: "What is this little act of virtue compared with what Our Lord has the right to expect from you? You ought rather to feel humbled at missing so many opportuni­ties of proving your love."

I was not best pleased by this remark, and waited to see how the Saint would behave in some trying situation. I soon had an occasion, for Mother Prioress having asked us to do a difficult and exacting piece of work, I deliberately added to the difficulty, without once finding her at fault, but always gracious and cheerful, not spar­ing herself. If it was a question of helping others and putting herself out, she at once seized the opportunity with alacrity.

At last I could stand it no longer, and putting my arms round her I told her what had been troubling my mind. "How do you manage," I asked her, "always to remain happy, peaceful and even?"

"I was not always like that," she said, "but ever since I gave up all self-seeking, I have led the happiest of lives."

-Conseils et Souvenirs.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: