Thursday, July 24, 2008

Just for Today, July 25

Thou oughtest indeed to be so far dead to such affections of persons beloved, as to wish, as far as appertains to thee, to be without any company of man.
Learn, for the Creator's sake, to overcome thyself in all things; and then thou shalt be able to attain to the knowledge of God.

-Bk. III, ch. xlii.
________________

"Supposing one of us (her three sisters) had been ill in your place, would you have come to the infirmary during recreation ?"

"I should have gone straight to recreation without asking how you were, taking good care, however, not to draw attention to my sacrifice. If I had been sent to the infirmary, I should have gone with a pure intention, to give you pleasure and not to please myself. In that way you would have been given graces that would have been withheld if I had been merely selfish, and for my part I would have drawn strength from my self-denial. If, out of human frailty, I sometimes acted otherwise, without feeling discouraged I would try to make up for my failings by greater self-denial unsuspected by others."

-Novissima Verba.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: