Thursday, July 24, 2008

Meditation for July 25, Deeds Count

I do not fail to tell God that I love Him. That is easy; that is sweet. It is more important by far that I show God I love Him. Words of love are good, but acts which prove love are still better.

It is by my deeds that I prove the sincerity of my faith, of my zeal. If instead of profound convictions, I have only a sentimental love, I will slacken my pace when consolations do not uphold me; God will have good reason to ask me if my generosity is not vain and very insincere.

Through my actions I render God the greatest honor. I am judged for what I am by what I do. My conduct attests before those who see me, the greatness of the Master I serve. If my homage is entire and vital, those who observe it will form a high idea of Him towards whom it is directed. If on the contrary it is niggardly, it belittles God in their eyes, --that is a responsibility I ought not incur.

It is finally by my actions that I reveal the power of my love. One does not need a very strong love to say words; but bne does need a strong love to act, that is for instance, to put to the guillo­tine my pet laziness or particular caprice.

"My God, teach me that I may know how to tell You my love. Here I am at Your feet, inert, without flame, without voice, one might almost say without heart, but You know well that it is not so; that if I am awkward, I am not indifferent. Oh no!

"But above all teach me more than how to tell You my love; teach me how to give evidence of it. Words, yes, for lack of greater things, but better still deeds!"
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: