Thursday, July 31, 2008

Meditation for August 1, The Vow of Obedience

Obedience has for its aim not only to make us do for ourselves at every instant what is best in itself, but to permit God to accom­plish through us at each instant, what is best for Him.

This is a good answer to the objections which rise in me at times against certain commands: "It would be better to do it this way," or "this should be commanded rather than that."

It is possible that in itself such a judgment might be just. There is certainly nothing to prevent my making respectfully whatever representations I think are necessary. The superiors seek nothing better than to further the advancement of their subjects' work. I must give them credit for this and lighten the burdens that often weigh heavily upon them.

But once having expressed my opinion, I have nothing to do but yield in a spirit of faith, should my superiors decide contrary to my views. What I am requested to do is perhaps not the best in itself; it is assuredly the best for God. What God desires far more than clever works is detached hearts; far more than dexterous hands does He seek keen intelligence and compliant hearts for the one thing necessary.

Jean de Quintanadone, who introduced the Reform of Carmel into France, complained to God of his inability to serve Him well.

"What prevents you from serving Me?"

"The hindrance comes from myself."

"Since you have given Me all you have, I take it. But now, I con­fide it to you again not as your possession, but as Mine."

"Yes, Lord, I will live henceforth, not as belonging to myself but entirely to You."

This is what obedience effects. When I give everything back to Our Lord, all will be transformed into service of God.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: