Sunday, July 27, 2008

Meditation for July 28, The Duties of My State

When one does not wish to be deceived in the examination of his spiritual life, he should begin, according to a certain spiritual au­thor, with an examination into his manner of fulfilling the duties of his state of life.

Some have the idea that it is in the heights of contemplation that one arrives at the intimate contact with God, which makes the relig­ious life so exalted.

But there is a better conception of it than that. Do I fulfill com­pletely the duties of my state?

What does that mean?

Just this: Do I carry out what the rule requires by way of gen­eral obedience to the obligations imposed by the Institute I have entered? Do I accomplish to the best of my ability the work confided to me, be it the care of the kitchen; the exercise of au­thority, the duties of procurator, or the fulfillment in this or that position, of the least of the countless duties, which the good order of the house demands.

That the whole congregation has everything to gain if each one fulfills her office to the best of her ability, is quiet evident, but that each individual has everything to gain by doing well what she has to do, is no less evident.

Have I anything else to carry out at the present moment but what God wishes? Assuredly not. But what God wants of me at this passing moment is exactly what the duty of my state in life fixes for me.

This then is the great measuring stick by which to judge virtue, to evaluate sanctity. Whether my duty pleases me or does not please me, I will accomplish it to the best of my power. If it pleases me, God be praised! If it does not please me, God be praised still more! I can thus manifest a grc;ater love for Him.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: