Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Just for Today, August 14

It is a very great thing to stand in obedience, to live under a superior, and not to be at our own disposal. It is much more secure to be in the state of subjection, than authority.

Many are under obedience more out of necessity than for the love of God; and such as these are in pain, and easily repine. Nor will they gain freedom of mind, unless they submit themselves with their whole heart for God's sake.
-Bk. I, ch. ix.
______________

Dear Mother, you are the compass Jesus has given me, by which to reach the shores of eternity. I look at you, and then do Our Lord's will. Whilst allowing me to undergo temptations against faith, the divine Master has greatly increased the spirit of faith in my soul, by which I see Him living in you, and giving me His commands through you. I know that you make the burden of obedience sweet and easy, but I am convinced that if you began to treat me with severity, I should not change my attitude towards you, nor would my filial affection grow less, because I should still see God's will expressed in another way for the greater good of my soul.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
[emphasis added]
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: