Monday, August 18, 2008

Just for Today, August 19

Lord, I stand much in need of a grace yet greater, if I must arrive so far that it may not be in the power of any man or anything created to hinder me. For as long as anything holds me, I cannot freely fly to Thee. He was desirous to fly freely to Thee, who said: Who will give me wings like a dove, and I will fly away and be at rest (Ps. liv, 7).

What can be more at rest than a simple eye that aims at nothing but God? And what can be more free than he who desires nothing upon earth? A man ought there­fore to pass and ascend above everything created, and perfectly to forsake himself, and in ecstasy of mind to stand and see that no creatures can be compared with Thee; because Thou infinitely transcendest them all.
-Bk. III, ch. xxxi.
________________

Thank God I have never met with anything but dis­appointment in human friendships. A heart like mine would have been taken captive and its wings clipped, and then I could no longer fly away and be at rest. How can a heart given up to human love ever be intimately united to God? It is impossible. I have seen so many souls, attracted by its false light, burn their wings like hapless moths, and then come back wounded to Jesus, the divine Fire which burns and consumes not.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: