Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Just for Today, August 28

Be mindful of the resolution thou hast taken, and set before thee the image of the Crucified. Well mayest thou be ashamed, if thou hast looked upon the life of Jesus Christ, that thou hast not yet studied to conform thyself more to His pattern, although thou hast been long in the way of God.
-Bk. I, ch. xxv.

Why seekest thou rest, since thou art born to labour? Dispose thyself to patience, rather than consolation; and to bear the cross, rather than to rejoice.
-Bk. II, ch. x.
_______________

I saw religious life as it really is, with all its restraints, and the little daily sacrifices that others do not suspect. I realized how easy it would be to become wrapped up in oneself, and to forget the sublime end of our vocation, so I said to myself: Later on, when trials come, and I am a prisoner at Carmel where I can only see a little corner of blue sky, I shall remember today, and the memory of this beautiful scenery will encourage me. I shall forget my own petty interests as I think of God's majesty and power: I shall love Him alone, and not become attached to trifles, for I have had as it were a glimpse of what is prepared for those that love Him.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: