Monday, August 04, 2008

Meditation for August 5, Keep Smiling

At the beginning of the year, I made the resolution to smile at everything; to smile at God; to smile at my neighbor; to smile at myself.

Have I kept my resolution?

No, at least not completely.

That is not astonishing. Providence has not sent only sweetness; my neighbor has not always been agreeable; and I have found in myself more than one reason for annoyance.

But did I, by any chance, promise to smile only when all smiled on me? The very thing I was striving for was to force myself to smile when something or someone did not smile upon me. Other­wise, was it worth the trouble to make a resolution? A fine reso­lution indeed and how meritorious, to determine to accommodate myself to life as long as it rolls along according to my fancy.

No! No! I want to pledge myself'to go ahead even when things seem to go awry; to keep joyful even when sadness tries to creep in.

I have not been faithful.

I renew my resolution.

If I am young, it is an obligation for me; one cannot be morose at the very beginning of life. If I am mature, then I have learned from life that things grow better in the sunshine than at night; I must set a good example to those around me, maintain enthusiasm and keep a spirit of valor flourishing. If the years have slackened my pace with their coming, I will recall the advice of an old man who responded to the congratulations he received on his eighty-­sixth birthday: "the secret of a long life is to smile four times more than before."
"If you lack gaiety," a Greek poet once remarked, "I will not buy the rest of your goods, for the shadow of the smoke." In other words, when­ smiles are wanting only poverty and insignificance of life can be found. I will try to develop in myself the divine art of smiling. God loves a cheerful giver. (II Cor. ix, 7.)
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: