Friday, August 08, 2008

Meditation for August 9, Poor Sinners

It is said that the Cure of Ars, although so perfect during his whole life, used to be forced to stop preaching at times on account of the violence of the emotion which gripped him, whenever he pronounced the words poor sinners.

That is how the saints judge.

I have doubtlessly through the mercy of God, not committed many grave sins--and how grateful I should be to the Savior! But how much inattention, how much ingratitude, and how many failures against mortification have I accumulated, not so much be­cause my weakness tripped my will, anticipating my consent, but because of my manifest and wilful lack of generosity, for which my Savior knows how responsible I am!

Isn't that cause enough to put anyone else but me whose pride is irreducible, in a state of absolute humility?

Humility! Yes, certainly! Not only on account of what has been, but on account of what might have been if God, understand­ing my wretchedness, has not portioned out the trials in accordance with my all too feeble strength.

I must take care however that my humility does not degenerate into lack of confidence--the devil has many tricks.

The abbe Vianney who used to lament his faults so deeply, said at the end of his life to one of his missionaries, "One night about two months ago I could not sleep. I was seated on my bed weeping over my wretched sins. I heard a sweet voice which whispered in my ear, 'I hope in You, my Lord, I shall not be confounded forever.'"

"Let me too hear this closing verse of the Te Deum. It was said for me--I hope in You, O Lord, I shall not be confounded forever.

"Heart of Jesus, I trust in You. I abandon myself entirely to You. I hope for all things."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: