Friday, July 03, 2009

Principles and Practices - July 4

The Soul's Detachment

My soul is so detached, so denuded, lonely, so estranged from all created things, in heaven and earth; it has become so recol­lected in Thee, that nothing whatever can come with­in sight of that most intimate joy which I have in Thee. That is, there is nothing whatever that can cause me pleasure with its sweetness, or disgust with its vileness, for my soul is so far removed from all such things, absorbed in such profound delight in Thee, that nothing can behold me.

-St. John of the Cross.
_________________
From Principles and Practices
Compiled by Rev. J. Hogan of The Catholic Missionary Society
Published by Burns Oates & Washbourne Ltd., Publishers To The Holy See
Nihil Obstat; Eduardus J. Mahoney, S.T.D. Censor deputatus.
Imprimatur; Edm. Can. Surmont, Vicarius generalis.
First printed in 1930

No comments: