Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Prayers & Reflections for November 24

The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

CHAPTER III
Thoughts for Fighting Men


Prayer before an Attack
It ain't as I 'opes 'E'll keep me safe
While the other blokes goes down,
It ain't as I wants to leave this world
And wear an 'ero's crown.

It ain't for that as I says my prayers
When I goes to the attack,
But I pray that whatever comes my way
I may never turn me back.

I leaves the matter o' life and death
To the Father who knows what's best,
And I prays that I still may play the man
Whether I turns east or west.

I'd sooner that it were east, ye know,
To Blighty and my gal Sue;
I'd sooner be there, wi' the gold in 'er 'air
And the skies be'ind all blue.

But still I pray I may do my bit,
And then, if I must turn west,
I'll be unashamed when my name is named,
And I'll find a soldier's rest.

-G. A. Studdert Kennedy

[Continued tomorrow]
_____________
From:
The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

by Rt. Rev. Msgr. Fulton J. Sheen
(C) 1943, P.J. Kenedy & Sons

No comments: