Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Prayers & Reflections for December 14

The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

Chapter IV
Reflections on Prayer


Prayer is not asking God to put himself at our disposal.
And James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him, saying: Master, we desire that whatsoever we shall ask, thou wouldst do it for us. But he said to them: What would you that I should do for you?

And they said: Grant to us, that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory.

And Jesus said to them: You know not what you ask. Can you drink of the chalice that I drink of: or be baptized with the baptism wherewith I am baptized?

But they said to him: We can.

And Jesus said to them: You shall indeed drink of the chalice that I drink of: and with the baptism wherewith I am baptized, you shall be baptized. But to sit on my right hand, or on my left hand, is not mine to give to you, but to them for whom it is prepared (Mark 10:35-40)....
[Continued tomorrow]
_____________
From:
The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

by Rt. Rev. Msgr. Fulton J. Sheen
(C) 1943, P.J. Kenedy & Sons

No comments: