Saturday, April 09, 2011

Prayers & Reflections for April 9

The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

CHAPTER XII
Occasional Prayers


A PRAYER
FOR THE ENLIGHTENING OF THE MIND


Enlighten me, O Good Jesus, with the brightness of internal light, and cast out all darkness from the dwelling of my heart.

Restrain my many wandering thoughts and suppress the temptations that violently assault me.

Fight strongly for me, and overcome these wicked beasts, I mean these alluring concupiscences: that peace may be made in thy power, and the abundance of thy praise may resound in thy holy court, which is a clean conscience.

Command the winds and storms; say to the sea, Be thou still; and to the north wind, Blow thou not; and a great calm shall ensue.

Send forth thy light and thy truth, that they may shine upon the earth; for I am as earth that is empty and void, till thou enlightenest me (Gen. 1).

Pour forth thy grace from above; water my heart with the dew of heaven; send down the waters of devotion to wash the face of the earth, to bring forth good and perfect fruit.

Lift up my mind oppressed with the load of sins, and raise my whole desires towards heavenly things, that having tasted the sweetness of the happiness above, I may have no pleasure in thinking of the things of the earth.

Draw me away, and deliver me from all unstable comfort of creatures; for no created thing can fully quiet and satify my desires.

Join me to thy self by an inseparable bond of love; for those alone canst satisfy the lover, and without thee all other things are frivolous.
-Imitation of Christ, Book III.


[Continued tomorrow]
_____________
From:
The Armor of God
Reflections and Prayers for Wartime

by Rt. Rev. Msgr. Fulton J. Sheen
(C) 1943, P.J. Kenedy & Sons

No comments: