Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Some excellent letters defending Archbishop Burke

Here is a sample of today's letters:
Sanctity of life is non-negotiable
As a Catholic, I look to my archbishop and pastor to teach and guide me in my faith. I find the "turmoil" regarding Archbishop Raymond Burke's remarks on pro-choice politicians and Holy Communion surprising.

This is nothing new. The sanctity of innocent human life has always been a non-negotiable issue of our faith. Burke is not crossing the line into politics as some have stated. He is simply doing his job as our shepherd and making us aware of what our faith teaches. I am grateful that he has the courage to lead us in these matters.

People do have a free will and can do what they want, but St. Louis Catholics cannot say that they weren't clearly told what their faith teaches.

J.M. Horn
O'Fallon, Mo.
This is a great letter - succinct and to the point! Clearly understandable - except for those blinded by their own pride.

Moral teaching

As someone who has fought Archbishop Burke over the status of St. Stanislaus Parish, I am, nevertheless, deeply troubled by the irrational response of what I can only call "cafeteria" Catholics who believe they can support pro-choice, pro-abortion, pro-murder candidates. They try to equate self-inflicted genocide to social welfare issues.

The murder of more than 40 million babies cannot be compared rationally to feeding the poor, which is a good and commendable act. Pro-abortion candidates and those who support them are in the same boat. They defy not just church law but natural law as well. Saying that the candidates have other good qualities is like saying Jeffrey Dahmer loved his mother.

If you cannot accept the moral teachings of the Catholic church, then find another religion that is an easier fit for you, but don't try to denigrate the Catholic religion or the person who carries its message.

Roger C. Krasnicki
Sappington
Another good letter - and notice that the moral truths of the faith unites even where disagreement exists in other matters.

But, of course, to be perceived as "fair and balanced", there is the 'really, really, confused Catholic' who needs to be heard:
Poisoned climate

Archbishop Burke has created a real dilemma for thinking Catholics. Those who accept church leaders' opinions as the true word of God will have no problem with his recent statements. But for those who believe that God gave them a brain and wants them to use it, there is a serious problem.

For one who was educated for 20 years in Catholic schools, taught for 35 years in a Catholic school, educated his kids in Catholic schools, contributed time, treasure and talent to the church, there is little recourse to Burke's demands. I can write letters, cut off my contributions to my church and archdiocese, stop participating in the organizations I have worked for, even question whether my grandchildren should be educated in church schools. But I cannot change his mind or undo the damage he has done.

He has poisoned my feelings toward my church. His God is not my God. Hopefully, his church will remain my church.

Bob Hoffmann
Oakville
Of course God gave us intellect, but he also gave us a will - and only when our minds are enlightened will we conform our wills to God's will. An education in Catholic schools, as unfortunate as it is say this, does not indicate that one "learned" the teachings of the Church. Archbishop Burke is not making "demands" as Bob states - he is echoing the constant teaching of the Christ and His Church. I suspect Bob's feelings were already poisoned and damaged by the faulty education he received. A professed Catholic does not presume to make judgements on the teaching of the Church but assents to the Church's doctrines even when they are difficult to understand or hard to accept. I believe that Bob's God is not the Archbishop's God. Bob's God appears to be his prideful ego.

Letters Link.


No comments: