Friday, November 12, 2004

Post Dispatch: Bishop Gregory's term is ending

Overall, this seems to be a fairly decent article.
"The poor man went through an ordeal. The mistakes of a lot of people were on his plate," said the Rev. Richard John Neuhaus, editor of First Things, a conservative Catholic magazine. "Regardless of what we thought of the decisions he made, we all have to recognize that he labored heroically under very difficult circumstances."
...
Gregory said that ... he differs from some of his brother bishops.
"I do not feel that a cleric who has a credible incident of child abuse in his past can be returned to public ministry. I do not believe it. I didn't believe it when I arrived in the diocese, and I have less reason to believe it today," he said.
...
Gregory's appointment of former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating to the chairmanship of the church's national review board was another move some see as divisive.
Personally, I believe the appointment of people of the anti-life persuasion were more divisive and raised serious questions regarding character and prudence.

The article is here. I think it made for interesting reading. Any thoughts?

No comments: