Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mental Prayer for June 29 - Courage

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: The understanding of what real courage is and the strength to act on that knowl­edge.

Mental Picture (d. John 2: 14-17) : Jesus moving through the narrow, dusty streets of Jerusalem... headed for the temple to teach. Through the gate... into the outer court... and there in God's house... a crowd of haggling merchants. Jesus is on the spot... all eyes watch to see what He will do: pretend He does not notice the evil?... face the evil and try to fight it?... "and He drove out all those who bought and sold there, and overthrew the tables of the money-changers" (Matt. 21:12).

My Personal Application : Courage is overcoming a difficulty in going after a real good... as Christ overcame the smirks and whispers of the onlookers and did the right thing. For me those "difficulties" will have many shapes and sizes: What will the gang think ?... My own comfort and ease... The loss of a so-called friend. To go after the right thing, because it is the right thing - can I think of such situations right now? One of the opposites of courage is cowardice: running away when things get difficult. The other is recklessness: acting without thinking first... sticking one's chin out without need... Some think this is courage.

I Speak to Christ: I think I see better now, Jesus, what real courage is. Let me keep your example in mind. Help me to act your way in difficult situa­tions... to take the hurt... to go on when a good is to be achieved... in spite of what others might think or say.

Thought for Today: Fear did not stop Him, nor did criticism hold Him back.
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: