Friday, July 28, 2006

Local unrecognized Teachers "Union" at it again...

And Bill McClellan becomes its mouthpiece:

Teachers union plugs away, despite lack of recognition

A small band of protesters was standing on the sidewalk Thursday morning across the street from the archbishop's residence on Lindell Boulevard. I recognized one of the protesters. "Don't tell me you're a teacher now," I said, and he shook his head. He said his wife was a teacher and he had come to the protest to support her. His wife saw us talking and hurried over. "I don't want my name in the paper," she said. "I don't want to lose my job."

So goes life in the labor movement these days.

Actually, these are tough times even for union members who have a union. Things are doubly tough when your union is not recognized by your employer. That's the situation for the members of the Association of Catholic Elementary Educators.
. . .

...the Catholic church has traditionally supported the right of workers to organize. The association affiliated with the Carpenters Union. Nice symbolism there! More important, that affiliation put the local labor movement strongly on the side of the association. How could the church not recognize the new union?

Answer: according to McClellan, it's Archbishop Burke's fault...go figure. Coming from McClellan, this isn't surprising.

No comments: