Saturday, July 29, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 30 - Everybody's Doing It

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Lord, teach me not to be a fake.

The Idea: A defendant paying a hefty fine for speeding on the highway com­plained to the judge, "Why, almost everyone drives that fast nowadays."

Arguing with her mother about smoking, Carol shouts, "Well, I'm the only senior in the whole school whose parents won't let her smoke."

Answering reporters as to why he took bribes, a college basketball player said bitterly, "Nearly every player takes money some time or other."

A parent protesting his son's expulsion from school for alcohol possession says, "It's only a phase. They all do it"

My Personal Application: What decides my standard of behavior? Am I a sucker for "what everybody's doing"? Should I take a little closer look at some of the things which I think are so "terrific" to see what they are really worth? Is there danger that I use my principles about purity, about honesty, about safety, about any­thing, only part of the time? When I go out to have fun, do I leave my brain at home?

I Speak to Christ: Lord, teach me what is right and give me courage to do it. Teach me to see through false standards. You lived here on earth and know what it's like. Teach me to see through "what everybody's doing." Teach me what you would have me do. Teach me to do your will rather than mine.

Thought for Today: Have I left my brain at home?
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: