Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 12-Jesus Prays Through the Night

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Jesus, my Lord, teach me how to pray; make me want to pray.

Mental Picture: It's night. Outside of town, on a grassy hillside, I wait in the shadows. Deep silence... then footsteps... I can see someone in the half-light... it's Christ... tired after a busy day, but coming to spend the night in prayer. I watch His calm face... His eyes lifted to heaven... His lips move, but I can't hear His prayer to His Father. Is He discussing tomorrow's work?... or perhaps praying? -praying for His soon-to­ be-chosen Apostles?... or for me?

My Personal Application: How important do I consider my daily prayer? Important enough not to put it off when I am tired as Christ was at the end of a hard day? How do I go about it? Do I pick a few moments when I can speak to God quietly? And a place where I won't be disturbed? What do I talk about? My plans? His plans for me? Do I realize how interested He is in me? That He knows me perfectly? What can I thank Him for? What do I need from Him?

I Speak to Christ: Teach me, Christ Jesus, to pray as you did. Don't let me keep you waiting or ignore you when I have promised to talk to you. If there are things in my life that I don't want to talk about to you, help me to recognize them and get rid of them. I will try to find a quiet time and place to think about and pray to you each day. Help me to shut out all else when I talk to you.

Thought for Today: Lord, teach me to pray.
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: