Friday, July 14, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 15-To Fall and Rise Again

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask : To understand the trust of Peter.

The Idea: Young Peter first met Jesus along the Jordan. Everything about this man fascinated Peter. But how many times Peter actually failed this leader who demanded faithful loyalty.

Peter had faith, but a faith that had to stumble along and get up again. That stormy night at sea when Jesus appeared on the water. Adventurously Peter shouted out, "Lord, if it's you, call out and I'll come." Being called, Peter swung over the side of the boat and began walking over the water to Jesus. Suddenly he realized...! He trembled; his face turned ashen. "Lord, save me!" Catch­ing hold of him, Jesus chided, "Why did you hesitate, man of little faith!" Little faith: Peter had failed. But he didn't give up. Many prom­ises, many shortcomings.

Then that tragic night. A few hours before: "I'll never lose courage in you, even if I have to die with you" ; but now: "I don't even know the man!" Real sinful infidelity, and Peter knew it. A solution crept into his mind: "Suicide... like Judas!" "No, Jesus would want me to keep on trying." Then two days later Peter saw Him again alive. Jesus understood and forgave him. We know the rest of the story: loyalty to his Friend till his martyrdom.

My Personal Application: How like Peter I am. He wanted Christ's friendship. So do I. I too often fail Him. "Have confidence in me," He says. "Follow my teachings." Sometimes I suc­ceed; but frequently... But so did Peter fall. And I'll never stop trying either. And that itself - trying all over - shows confidence.

I Speak to Christ: Thank you, Lord, for giving me Peter as a model of faith and loyalty to you.

Thought for Today: "Lord, save me or I shall perish!"
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: