Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Mental Prayer for November 15, "Life Is Changed, Not Taken Away"

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Give me, Lord, the true Christian attitude toward death - the hope of union with you.

The Idea: Those who are frightened by the thought of death should be consoled by our Lord's certain promise of future life. For those who are faithful to God's law of love, life is changed, not taken away. When this temporary stay on earth is ended, it will be exchanged for eternal life in heaven. These are thoughts from the Preface of the Mass of the Dead, and they express the Christian attitude toward death­ - the beginning of a new and more wonderful life.

My Personal Application: Do I often think of the fact that this life is merely a preparation for the next; that it has no meaning without the thought of the life to come? Or do I fall in with the worldly attitude and forget that there is another life at all?

I Speak to God: Dear Lord, give me the foresight not to get so taken up with the cares of this life that I forget that this is only a preparation for a more perfect life with you. Let me look at death as a goal rather than as something to fear, as something to look to rather than something to run from. Let me look at death as you looked at it upon the cross, as the way to resurrection and eternal life.

Thought for Today: "Life is changed, not taken away."
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: